This fall, our backyard brought us a wonderful surprise: mushrooms! In the previous years, we only had about a few mushrooms. But this year, they were literally covering a good chunk of our backyard. They grew in clusters, and sometimes, one on top of another and another. Here I thought that they grew like umbrellas planted on a beach. I wonder what change in weather or soil condition caused this abundance of wild mushrooms. I had to walk carefully in the affected area of the yard so that I would not step on a mushroom.
While I marveled at these fungi, I only wished I knew how to identify the edible ones. I heard that wild mushrooms can be so tasty and it would be a lot of fun to pick our own (and right in our backyard at that).
Since neither my husband and I knew a thing about fungi apart from the ones we get from the stores, I left the mushrooms alone. In time, they rotted and oh! what a smell they emitted. I blame the ugly smell for a mild allergic reaction.
The yard is clear of them now. The frost killed the last of the mushrooms. Having them around sure made an interesting fall landscape.